December Holiday Hustle Poems
Seven Poems written in the midst of holiday hurry:
As always, thanks to Tanweer Dar for his #MastoPrompt every day. Most of the poems are human rights or mental health themed, but every now and then I write for humor or just for the beauty of it. It’ll be pretty obvious to most readers that I have some significant trauma around Christmas traditions from what I wrote this week. Also, and, the week before Christmas is generally a very difficult time for my therapy clients, who are often cut off from significant portions of their extended families. I tried to be gentle with myself and with the people involved in my memories, but I’m not sure I succeeded. In any case, enjoy.
“I’m flawless”, he said.
Oh, how perfectly boring.
Sipped my tea, swiped left.
(I love the wordplay in this one. What do you think?)
Everything feels like
when guzzling hate
Mommy’s magic kiss
Heals the pain of childhood hurts
No bandage competes.
(I loved my mom, y’all).
Bubbling from within
(yes, it’s a fart joke)
If you’ll pardon me
remember those without cheer
on this Yuletide eve
A Christmas Memory
A candle burning every night since Yule.
Mom grieving for her mom long dead.
“Angel hair” (fiberglass, can you believe it?!?) causing the whole house to itch.
Smarmy jokes from the older brothers.
Forced smiles all the way around.
My sister, in the moment, opening presents.
“You’re too sensitive”.
Merry Fucking Christmas, 1979.
(yes, ouch. My mom was complicated. And the prompt was #Christmas)
“Our icon, the almighty dollar
is for our worth and our gain,” they holler.
“Tell us not of the poor
’tis natural we’ve more
It’s their own fault they perish in squalor”.
(the prompt was #icon).
Those are the poems for this week.
I will try to finish my series on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights later this week, and I have a few ideas for mental health articles. Also, I’m slowly sharing many of my TikTok videos on YouTube, so if you don’t use TikTok, you can go there to see my short videos. Also, later this week look for new items in the store with my newest design, “Resistance is Necessary”.
Ways To Support My Work
- Read other articles on this website (examples below)
- Then, leave a comment or dozens of them. (Comments are moderated to protect the guilty.)
- Buy and use an item from my Goodies and Gear shop here or on Etsy. (The Etsy shop is temporarily closed. The same items are available at my Goodies and Gear shop)
- Follow me on WordPress so you never miss a post! (form below this list)
- Make a one-time gift through Paypal
- Or a recurring gift through Liberapay and Patreon.
- Follow me on other sites where I’m engaging in conversation from my All the Links page.
- Help me reach my goal of retiring or semi-retiring from providing therapy within the next 10-15 years.
- Help other creators whose goals are aligned with mine.
- Support 3rd party ad-free content with small donations for creators when and how you can.